Houston fashion expert uncovers what to purge, keep, or add for the ultimate 2023 closet reset

The holidays are over and new clothes are happily entering every closet. The tempting (and endless) supply of leggings, t-shirts, jeans and bodysuits has grown perhaps tenfold.

What does this mean? It’s time to reset fashion. Unlike regular closet cleaning, fashion resetting means thinking carefully about each item. Cut down on superfluous, get rid of micro-fashion trends, and organize the things that don’t fit and don’t lie flat. Donate, sell, or recycle whatever you “maybe” to make room for the best style suggestions for the new year.

Emily MichaelsESKM Collections owner and creative director says a common problem he sees when working with client closets is having too many occasion-based clothes instead of everyday clothes. She said 80% of her closet “should be something you see yourself wearing every day, and the other 20% should be more occasion-based.” suggests.

Michaels, who recently helped Dominic Sachs declutter his closet, asked his clients to reset their closets, from setting aside their most worn clothes and removing anything that was torn, stained, or damaged. Once that process is complete, it’s time to build your ultimate wardrobe.

Below are Michaels’ top five suggestions for the 2023 fashion reset.

button down shirt

remove: A button-down shirt that is too formal or can only be matched with dressy pants or skirts.

keep: A classic button-down that is easy to match with pants or jeans.

addition: A French cuff blouse with feminine details such as frills can be worn buttoned up or worn over a tank top.

Easy to pair with jeans or pants, the French Cuff Shirt is a wardrobe staple for 2023. Photo credit ESKM collection


remove: A blazer that didn’t fit well or a fabric that didn’t hold up over time.

keep: Blazers in classic silhouettes like boxies and fits are an easy way to elevate your jeans.

addition: A classic investment from Rag & Bone or Veronica Beard that will stay in style season after season.

Blazers are a wardrobe staple from corporate to casual. Try a Veronica Beard or Rag & Bone investment piece. photo credit veronicabeard.com


remove: Jeans that don’t fit well (regardless of style) or jeans that are distressed and have large rips or holes.

keep: Jeans that flatter your figure with confidence.

addition: Fitted straight leg, mid to high rise, quality jeans with a classic wash. We recommend using a darker wash in the winter and a lighter wash in the warmer months.

For 2023, opt for mid- to high-rise jeans in classic washes like Agolde. Photo credit agolde.com


remove: A dress that can only be worn once for a special occasion.

keep: A dress that looks great and is easy to dress up or down.

addition: A simple slip-on knit dress that can be worn with heels, sneakers, or flats.

Easy to dress up or down, this t-shirt dress from the ESKM collection is a closet staple for 2023. Photo credit ESKM collection


remove: Shoes with dirty soles or heels, worn out, or irreparable.

keep: Classic low-top Converse in white or nude and simple booties with low chunky heels.

addition: Loafers with chunky soles or ballet flats with a modern twist.

Add a modern twist to Alohas ballet flats. Photo credit: Alohas.com

Source link

Leave a Reply